Sixty Knees of Separation
I love live performances. Theatre, music concerts, dance... fabulous! Live performances have meant so much to me over the years that I have saved Playbills, programs, and concert tickets from nearly every performance I have seen. As you might imagine, these things began to take up space. Plastic tubs filled with programs, ticket stubs, etc.
Since summer 2008 when I bought the domain "sixtykneesofseparation.com," I have had this idea to bring together people who have seen the same live performances--possibly even on the same night, merely sixty knees apart in the theatre--to engage in conversations about the performances. The website, a labor of love, is still a labor. Much to do. A work in progress.
What I have done, however, is to begin the process of organizing my ephemera. I believe I have organized into binders nearly every Playbill I have kept (although I'm sure some will still turn up in all those plastic tubs awaiting my attention). Into these binders, I have also placed as many ticket stubs as I could find--from theatre, dance, and music concerts I have attended over the years. I then went back through every item in these binders and created a document that lists the name of the performance, the date I attended, and--if I know it--where I sat during the performance. This gives me the raw data I need for the content of the website.
And what FUN it is reliving all those memories...
Some Fun Facts
- # of shows I have seen on Broadway: 41
- # of times I have seen the Indigo Girls in concert: 17
- The musical I have seen more times than any other: Rent (15)
- The oldest ticket stub I have: Three Dog Night (March 28, 1974 - ISU Minidome - Pocatello, Idaho)
- Although I don't have my ticket stub, the first concert I ever saw was The Carpenters on April 27, 1973.
- My first Broadway show: The Wiz (1975 at The Majestic)
- After Rent, the musicals I return to time after time: Phantom of the Opera (9), Wicked (8), and Les Misérables (6)
- After the Indigo Girls, the two women I have seen most in concert: Bette Midler (5), Patti LaBelle (4)
- # of live performances I have seen: 677+ (this number is low...it represents the number of shows in my Excel document as of June 20, 2018; there are many shows I still need to document)